Here’s a good recipe as the days grow shorter and cooler. A delicious and simple vegetarian pasta to spruce up your meat-free Mondays – or any day of the week. It weighs in at less than 500 calories per serving.
Brought to you by Active Aging Week, an awareness promotion by the International Council on Active Aging. Along with the Grain Foods Foundation, the council is encouraging people to get healthy whole grains in their diet.
- 1 box whole wheat penne pasta, uncooked, 14.5 oz
- 1 package reduced fat cream cheese 8 oz.
- 1½ to 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 can seasoned diced tomatoes, 28 oz.
- 2 cups low-fat Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Fold in marinara sauce and canned tomatoes. Pour into a rectangular 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.