It’s that time of year when everyone’s going crazy for all things pumpkin again. In keeping with the spirit of the season, then, here’s a yummy and simple pumpkin soup everyone in the family will enjoy. This one’s from A Place for Mom, which has gathered 25 recipes for active adults that are heart-healthy and rich in nutrients like fiber, protein and vitamins.
- 1 can white beans (15 ounce, rinsed and drained)
- 1 onion (small, or 2 tsp. onion powder)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can pumpkin (15 ounces, plain)
- 1 can chicken or vegetable broth, low-salt (14.5 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon thyme or tarragon
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Blend white beans, onion, and water.
- In a soup pot, mix bean puree with pumpkin, broth, and spices.
- Cover and cook over low heat about 15 to 20 minutes until warmed through.
Yield: 4 servings
- Fat: 2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 40 grams
- Protein: 10 grams
- Fiber: 13 grams
- Sodium: 700mg