A citrus marinade brings the
vegetables to life. Serve this salad as a side dish or as an entree. From The
American Diabetes Association’s “Tex Mex
Diabetes Cooking” book.
- Lime juice, 1/2 cup
- olive oil, ¼ cup
- crushed red pepper flakes, 1 tsp
- garlic (minced), 3 clove
- honey, 1 ½ tbsp
- romaine lettuce (chopped), 6 cup
- black beans (rinsed and drained), 15 oz
- jicama (peeled and chopped), 1 cup
- corn (drained), 15 oz
- red bell pepper (cored, seeded, and diced), 1
- ripe avocados (peeled and diced), 2
- reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese, 1/2 cup
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, and honey. Dressing is best served at room temperature.
- Spread lettuce evenly across a large serving platter. Arrange beans, jicama, corn, bell pepper, and avocados side by side on top of lettuce. Garnish with cheese. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 1 hour. Drizzle with dressing before serving.
Saturated fat, 3g
Trans fat, 0g
Cholesterol, less than 5mg
Total sugars, 7g
Prep time: 15 minutes
Serving size: 1 ½ cups