The Food Network’s Alton Brown shares his lentil soup. Mmmm, so good – and just 372 calories and 8 grams of fat per serving. Cozy up with a bowl of this and a side salad for a well-rounded wintertime meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground toasted cumin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground grains of paradise
- Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and grains of paradise and stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency.
- Serve immediately.